Sunday, October 01, 2006

Back to Sewing

We're back from San Diego and we've been to the wedding, so now I can post the photos of that gift I made.
gift wrapped
Thanks to Hallmark, the gift wrap was pretty.
placemats & napkins
I made 8 reversible placemats with coordinating napkins, an additional 12 smaller cocktail napkins and two potholders from the leftovers.
placemats closeup
I didn't quilt the placemats as I often do. Instead, I ironed over the edges and then lined up two fabrics and sewed them around the edges with two rows of topstitching. I had a time choosing the fabrics. I had it in my mind that I would look for blues and greens and large patterns when I got to the store but I couldn't find anything I liked that worked (in my mind). I finally settled on the small prints in the quilting cotton section, in coordinating reds and greens. These were actually in the Christmas section but I didn't choose fabrics with an obvious Christmas motif (holly or trees or stuff) so I am hoping this will work any time of the year. Although of course, it will also work at Christmas!

And the wedding was lovely. They had a Fall theme running throughout, right down to the meal which was beef tenderloin with Fall vegetables. It was so nice that we stayed later than I expected we would and we felt all lovey ourselves. Even after 24 years of marriage, a nice wedding lifts the spirits. Now I'm going to make a simple 8 gore skirt for wearing to school with layers in the cooler weather. I don't even think I'm going to line it. Sometimes I scare myself with my daring.

2 comments:

ML said...

Welcome back! Glad you had a good time at the wedding. Love the present! I like the colors and designs you picked.

JuliaR said...

Thanks ML!

Sharon, I simply folded the raw edge over 1/4 inch, ironed it, and then folded it again, ironed it and stitched it with a zipper foot along the folded edge. I did mitre the corners by unfolding the double fold, and then turning the corner over twice. I should have taken pix as I went. Maybe I can find one on a napkin I made for myself...