Saturday, May 05, 2007

The Dress is Done

dress measuring elastic
I measured between the dart locations and decided to use a piece of elastic 6 inches long and stretch it over 8 inches of waistline at the back.
dress fitting elastic
I pinned one end of the elastic to where the dart was supposed be on one side, and ran the elastic along the untrimmed seam allowance to the location of the other dart. Then I pinned the elastic along the seam allowance and went to sew it down.
dress sewing elastic
I sewed the elastic to the seam allowance using a long, wide zigzag stitch, stretching it as I went.
dress placing elastic
When I was done, the elastic was hidden behind the seam allowance, as it was pressed up toward the bodice.
dress finished
I took a photo of the dress on my dummy, who I have decided to call "Rose". I was lying awake a few nights ago, trying to get back to sleep. I decided to go slowly through the alphabet, looking for a name for the dummy that resonated with me. I often use the alphabet technique to go back to sleep, instead of counting sheep. Anyway, I got to the letter R and the name Rose just seemed to work. Plus she is a nice rosy colour so there you go. I was just going to put this up as the final photo for this dress but then it got just warm enough to put it on so I got Peter to take a picture (or two) of me wearing it outside.
the dress
the dress
I like the one with the jacket because the jacket covers a multitude of sins. And I made that jacket too and wear it all the time, along with the dozen other I made from the same pattern. Hey, when a pattern works, I take advantage of it. As you will see in the next entry or so.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Rose" is an excellent name for "her"!

And I think the dress is really cool!!! Nice work!

Tany said...

You look great, well done!

Anonymous said...

Julia the dress is fabulous! It looks great with the jeans jacket too, well done. I bet your DH changed his mind about it when he saw you wearing it. It is very very nice and let no one tell you any less.
Heather

Anonymous said...

To be honest, I did not like the dress (maybe the fabric) in the beginnng but now that it's finished it looks great. Or maybe it's the model (and I don't mean Rose).

Anonymous said...

I really like your dress - the color, the print the style - and your jacket really finishes it nicely. I don't know about where you live, but here in Alaska those jackets come in pretty handy with sleeveless dresses!
Mary

Anonymous said...

It looks great - you are very talented!

Anonymous said...

Great dress--long live the Horta!

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

That is way cool! LOL Fatitude...I need to borrow that word also...

Linda L said...

Just getting caught up on my blog reading. Lovely dress. Like the contrast fabric with it, that seemed to make it pop!

Sandy said...

You look fabulous in the dress. It's a great style for you. The jacket works well also.

Anonymous said...

Your dress turned out great! It looks really nice on you! Love the jacket too! I'm anxious to see more. Rose is perfect!

JuliaR said...

Wow, eleven comments! I should stay away more often! Thank you ALL for your kind remarks about how the dress looks. I am happy with how it fits and now I can make another one. I have some rayon with a nice tropical print on it and my DH has approved of THAT print! But first, I think I want to make yet another jean jacket. However, I'll know more when I actually start cutting.

JuliaR said...

Julia, the coincidences are always interesting, aren't they? I was trying to be original when I named her Rose but I haven't found myself calling her by name yet. We'll see if that happens.

ML said...

I like the name you chose. The dress looks fab! You look great!

JuliaR said...

Thanks ML. I haven't been keeping up with many blogs, sorry. Other things, other things. But I'm glad you're still out there.