Monday, June 04, 2007

The green jacket is done

So I finished the green jacket last week and have even worn it twice and am started on the blue one but haven't blogged in ages. Sorry about it.
green jacket
It has been so long, I had to go back to the last entry to see where I left off. Here is a shot of the bottom band, about half on. I sew the blue or inside to the wrong side of the jacket body, then sew up the ends. When it is turned right-side-out, the green side of the band gets sewn to the outside or right side of the jacket using topstitching.
green jacket
Here's what it looks like when all finished. The topstitching on the outside is all done in green of course. On the inside, I used blue bobbin thread except for the first line of stitching that attaches the folded edge of the band in the first place. That line of stitching never (or rarely) falls on the blue band but instead, falls onto the body of the jacket which in this case, is green. If you go to Flickr and look closely, you will see a line of green thread and only one line of blue stitching where the band meets the body.
green jacket
I made the tabs with the underside in blue too, so you get a little hint of it at times. Having worn the jacket now, I know that the casual observer might not notice any blue at all unless I had the cuffs rolled up. But I still really like the subtlety of it.
green jacket
I had decided that I would use buttons and not snaps for this and the blue jacket but I wasn't sure what I would find when I got to the store. I lucked into these shiny slightly yellowish green buttons that work perfectly with the look. I also used blue bobbin thread wherever it was necessary and forgot to change it once when making a buttonhole on the jacket front and so had to rip out a little bit of that one.
green jacket finished
Here I am with the finished jacket. I look a little tired because I was in the grip of a nasty cold that wore me out but it's gone now and I'm on to the next jacket! And skirts!

13 comments:

Adrienne said...

wow, it looks great!

Tany said...

Very well done! Thank you for sharing your work!

Shannon said...

The stitching on that jacket is impeccable. Beautiful job!

Sue said...

Wow! Love the attention to detail. Great stitching!

Peggy said...

I've been following along-great to see the finished product. It is so sharp, the color is so right, it must be a joy to wear!

ML said...

That turned out beautifully! Well done.

Anonymous said...

Your jacket is beautiful! Love the colors and you did a fantastic job!

nur ayday said...

god job, I like it.. thank you for sharing us

nur

JuliaR said...

Thank you ALL for commenting! I am halfway through the blue one and will blog on that shortly too.

Chookyblue...... said...

beautiful stitching.......shirt looks great

JuliaR said...

Thanks ChoookyBlue! Chook means chicken down under, is that right?

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! Those details are so lovely. I hope my topstitching looks so good one day!

JuliaR said...

V.E., welcome to my blog! From the looks of your last "four shirt challenge", your sewing looks great! I like to set myself limits like that too - before I let myself make this, I must make that.