Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Linen outfit, jacket

On to finishing touches. I am hemming the skirt tonight but that's a simple proposition.
linen jacket
I have put on all the seam binding and hemmed up the jacket. Looking good!
linen jacket
Now I just have to figure out the buttons. The three I have are different from each other, with one having a dark brown spot on it, one medium and the third light.
linen jacket
I have to decide what order to place them. Should the darkest one be at the top, in the middle or at the bottom? Not a crisis either way, I am thinking.
linen jacket
I have discovered that the top buttonhole will have to go right through the middle of an embroidered flower. Nothing I can do about that now. I have made an experimental buttonhole through a flower and it's not bad. But I wonder if there might be anything else I could do?
linen jacket
After I made the sample buttonhole, I pinned it on the jacket, put it on Miss Pink, and stuck a button into it, to get a feel for the thing. I also have to calculate where I want to sew the buttonhole, because when done up, the buttons will stop at the shank (or where they are sewed) and I don't want them overlapping the edge of the front of the jacket. So the buttonhole has to stop about 1.5 cm from the edge of the jacket, which looks kind of far back to me, when the jacket is unbuttoned.

5 comments:

patsijean said...

Julia, I would not put in buttonholes. My suggestion would be to use covered snaps as fastioners and just sew the buttons in position. Such alternative methods are often used when a stitched and slashed bottonhole would be problematic. I think the suit would be beautiful.

JuliaR said...

Thanks Patsijean - in fact, the pattern instructions call for that very thing! So now I'm really going to think about it. I have never used covered snaps but how hard can it be?

cutfingerproductions said...

Hello! My name is laura and I am just saturday morning browsing and found you! Glad I did. Firstly you are an excellent teacher...I am totally understanding your processes ..also love the binding in the interior of this jacket. It just really makes this jacket professional. ( the jacket is just lovely btw)Thank you for taking the time to share these details instead of finished work. ( i am guilty)This spurs us in the younger generations to take up and continue this trade... I have never sewn a garment but I really want to! I find your entries encouraging to me. Thanks!
Cheers! Julia! :)

JuliaR said...

Welcome to my blog, Laura! Your bags at cfp look great! Fun too. I am sure with your experience at the sewing machine, making a garment wouldn't be that difficult. I am lucky that all the patterns fit me with only a little sleeve alterations. Just follow the instructions!

cutfingerproductions said...

Hi again Julia!!! Guess what! I did it...nothing fancy but I made a dress! Really your attitude made me think hey, why not?? Not even as cool as your things but I have to start somewhere right?
I just blogged about it if you want to come see it..
Thanks again!!!! for sharing your talents!! I am checkin in on you!!!
Sincerely laura:)