Monday, October 27, 2008

Boiled wool jacket, almost done

Almost done! I got some buttons on Thursday:
boiled wool jacket
I looked at all kinds of red buttons, plain, patterned, matte, glossy. I looked at black buttons too and even metal ones but I liked these red buttons the best. They are not very contrasty and yet they stand out a little bit. I think I am going to have to do the buttonholes the old way, because the fabric is so thick my automatic buttonholer won't work on it.
boiled wool jacket
I've sewed the inside and outside together and pressed all around the edges. I have sewed up the jacket hem but not the lining - that is the lining hanging down below the hem there which of course, it won't do after I've sewed it up.
boiled wool jacket
I haven't hemmed the sleeves yet either. I think I'll wait to the end for that, as I want to make sure they are fairly long, to cover the cuffs of whatever I will wear underneath the jacket. It is heavy too! For such a short garment, it weighs a lot. That is partly the kind of fabric and partly the volume of the jacket with the pleats at the back. Next, more hemming, topstitching all around and buttonholes.

10 comments:

Diana said...

Julia, your jacket is looking great! I love that you show different steps to your garment construction and that you include photos of everything.. Yours is my favorite type of blog.

JuliaR said...

Thanks so much S.P.! That trench you made was beautiful! And I noticed you did a couture hem too. I came down to look at emails because I stuck myself with a needle and had to wait for the bleeding to stop. Even if it is a red jacket, I don't want to get blood on it. :) And then I noticed the typo in the headline - ACK!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this has been a long project. You usually whip stuff up in a couple of days! It's a gorgeous jacket, though and the buttons are perfect!

Anonymous said...

Julia, the jacket is absolutely gorgeous. Ok, buttonholes the old way, or perhaps get a tailor to do them for you....no shame in that!

JuliaR said...

I know Xup, I feel like I have been sewing this jacket for a month. Oh wait - it HAS been a month! Now at least I can start something new.

Carmen, I cannot imagine getting a tailor to do work for me. Isn't that weird. As you will see, I did them anyway and while not perfect, I love the jacket.

Unknown said...

Hello Julia, good day. my name is Claris Broderick owner of http://www.pattern-making.com/. We are writing to exchange links with your site, http://juliasewing.blogspot.com. I come upon your site through a Google search and really like the content and information on your site, I also believe that over viewers will enjoy each other site as the content is in the same line. Is this is link exchange is alright with you, your link will be place on my home page under links.
http://www.pattern-making.com/. Link Name will be: Julia’s Sewing Blog

Thanks
Claris Broderick
http://www.pattern-making.com
freehandcutting@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Beautiful jacket. I have a large wool stash and can hardly wait to get past the gift making holiday time so I can dig in and make a jacket or two or three... You are an inspiration to me, thanks!

JuliaR said...

Hi Claris, sure I will put a link on my little blog. Thanks for linking to me!

ABG, always glad to be an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I lova this jacket sew much I think I will make one myself! Good job Julia!

JuliaR said...

ABG, I found the jacket to be a tiny bit tight in the upper body/arm area so that I can't fit it over another jacket, like for work. It works great over a sweater but not thick layers so I can't wear it too far below zero but it's really too short for that anyway. I'll be wearing it more in the Spring now.